Deciding on the best dog food for a Scottish Terrier can be tough. With so many brands and formulas on the market, how can you know which is the best dog food for your Scottie? The first step is to understand the nutritional needs of Scottish Terriers. These quirky gorgeous little dogs have a moderate activity level and have a high metabolism, so they need food that is high in protein and fat.
In addition, they are prone to certain health conditions, such as gastrointestinal problems and allergies, so it’s important to choose a formula that is tailored to their needs. Once you have a good understanding of what your dog needs, you can start to narrow down the options and find the best dog food for a Scottish Terrier. With so many great choices on the market, we have narrowed it down to the top 7.
The Scottish Terrier is a small, compact dog that originates from The Scottish Highlands. Also known as the Scottie, this breed is member of the terrier group and is known for its distinctive short legs. While the exact history of the Scottish Terrier is unknown, it is believed that the breed was developed in the early 19th century from a cross between the Cairn Terrier and the Skye Terrier.
Today, the Scottish Terrier is a popular companion dog and is recognized by most major kennel clubs. Despite its small size, the Scottie is a robust and hardy breed that is well-suited to life in an urban environment. With its cheerful disposition and loyalty to its family, it’s no wonder that the Scottish Terrier is one of the most popular terrier breeds in the world!
Animky is reader-supported. When you buy through our links we may earn an affiliate commission.
What Is The Best Dog Food For Your Scottish Terrier – Reviewed
1. Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain Chicken & Pomegranate Recipe Adult Mini
Scottish Terriers are a unique breed of dog, and as such, they have specific dietary needs. Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain Chicken & Pomegranate Adult Mini Dry Dog Food is specially formulated to meet the nutritional requirements of Scottish Terriers.
This premium dog food is made with regionally-sourced ingredients and contains no peas, potatoes, legumes, meals or by-products. Instead, it is comprised of a limited amount of non-GMO grains that are low glycemic index, including spelt and oats. Additionally, 90% of the protein in this dog food is derived from animal sources from chicken, eggs and fish making it an ideal diet for Scottish Terriers. This food has also been clinically tested through cruelty-free research to ensure it provides the best nutrients for your Scottie.
- Prebiotic fibers from beet pulp, and flaxseeds to support the microbiome.
- Contains omega 6 fatty acids and Vitamin E to support coat health
- Highly digestible and natural ingredients
- Made in the United States from locally sourced ingredients
- High levels of antioxidants to support immunity and help combat inflammation
- Weight: 4 and 15 lbs.
- High protein of 33% dry matter to support lean muscle mass
- Contains Herring and Herring Oil – both high in omega-3 fatty acids to support skin and joint health
- Prebiotic fibers from psyllium, inulin, yeast, and fructooligosaccharides help to improve the microbiome and gastrointestinal health
- Goof fiber levels for gastrointestinal health and better stool quality
- Amazing review scores
- Currently can be some stock issues
2. Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Skin and Stomach Small and mini
Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed Chicken Recipe may be crafted for small and toy breed adult dogs, but it sure packs big benefits! It features natural ingredients, like real animal protein first and it’s packed with antioxidant benefits, too.
Best of all, it’s formulated to help provide optimal digestive health and help nourish the skin – two things that are very important to the Scottish Terrier breed. You’ll love knowing that it’s backed by decades of cutting-edge research. Plus, Since Scottish Terriers are prone to Digestive problems it contains prebiotic fiber to help feed your Scottie’s microbiome for optimal digestive health. So if you’re looking for the best dog food for your Scottish Terrier, this one from Hill’s Science Diet is a great option to consider.
- Weight: 4 and 15 lbs.
- Has vitamin E and omega 6s
- Made of natural ingredients
- Recommended by veterinarians
- Has antioxidants
- Boosts the dog’s immunity
- Highly digestible
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Lower protein at 23.3%
3. Best Food for a senior Scottish Terrier: Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult 7+ Small Breed
The search for the best food for a senior Scottish Terrier can be tough. You want something that will provide all the nutrients your aging furry friend needs, but you also don’t want to spend a fortune. Luckily, there’s Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult 7+ Small Breed.
This food is specifically designed for older dogs, and it’s packed with everything your Scottie needs to stay healthy and active. Best of all, it’s affordable, so you can give your dog the nutrition he deserves without breaking the bank. So if you’re looking for the best food for your senior Scottish Terrier, look no further than Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult 7+ Small Breed.
This dry dog food features enhanced botanical oils to promote alertness and mental sharpness in senior dogs within 30 days. Chicken is the first ingredient, and the kibble is bite-sized to make chewing easier for small dogs. The formula also contains EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, to help support joint health and mobility. Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult 7+ Small Breed is also known to help promote a healthy coat and skin.
- Weight: 5 and 16 lbs.
- For senior dogs 7+ to support their mental and joint health
- 100% money-back guarantee
- High protein at 32% to support lean muscle mass
- Has a great taste
- Recommended by veterinarians and veterinarians on staff
- Clinically proven
- Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil to support mobility
- Does contain poultry by-product meal and corn gluten meal – both, while they do provide important nutrients are lower quality protein sources
4. Best puppy Food for Scottish Terriers. Wellness CORE Digestive Health Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice
A Scottish Terrier puppy’s digestive system is still developing and they need the best food to help them grow into a healthy adult dog. Wellness CORE Digestive Health Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice is a great option for a growing pup. The food is rich in nutrients and probiotics that support a healthy digestive system. The chicken and brown rice are easily digestible and provide the energy a growing pup needs. Best of all, the food is delicious, so your pup will love mealtime!
It contains digestive enzymes, prebiotic fibers, and probiotics to help support gut health. Made with both DHA and EPA to help support cognitive development. Chicken is the first ingredient and it is high in protein. Helps support a strong immune system, a glossy coat and healthy skin. Specially formulated for puppies under 1 year old.
- Weight: 4 and 24 pound bags
- Flavor: chicken
- Calcium and phosphorus promote strong bones and teeth
- Chicken is the first two main ingredients
- Contains several prebiotic fibers to support digestive health which is important to Scottish Terriers with sensitive stomachs
- High protein at 34% dry matter
- DHA promotes cognitive development from fish oil
- Quite expensive
5. Best Food for Scottish Terriers with Allergies: Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Small Breed Bites
Looking for the best food for Scottish Terriers with allergies? Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Small Breed Bites Duck and Potato dry food is a great option! This food is specifically designed for small breed dogs with sensitivities, and it’s made with high-quality duck and potato ingredients.
The limited ingredient formula helps to reduce the risk of allergies, and the small kibble size is perfect for Scottish Terriers. Plus, this food is packed with nutrients and antioxidants to support your dog’s health.
This highly nutritious food is made in the USA using only the finest ingredients. It is designed specifically for smaller jaws and has a crunchy texture that dogs love. Best of all, it is made with farm-raised duck as the number 1 ingredient. And because it doesn’t contain any added peas, pea protein, lentils, legumes, corn, wheat or soy, it is the perfect food for dogs with allergies.
So if you’re looking for hypoallergenic food that’s tailored to Scottish Terriers, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Small Breed Bites Duck and Potato dry food is a great choice!
- Suitable for: Scottish Terriers with Food or Environmental allergies that do not need a prescription diet from their vet.
- Weight: 4 and 12 lbs.
- Limited ingredient with duck as the only meat-based protein
- Moderate protein at 26% dry matter basis
- Prebiotic fibers from yeast and flaxseed for digestive health
- Very Highly rated with excellent reviews from pet parents with dogs with allergies
- There is some weak evidence that chicken allergic dogs may react to duck so be cautious and watch for signs of itching.
6. Best Fresh Food: Pet Plate Lean and Mean Venison
A limited ingredient diet is essential for dogs with food allergies or food sensitivities. By using only a few, high-quality ingredients, dogs are less likely to experience allergic reactions or digestive problems.
All Pet Plates meals are made with 100% human-grade ingredients and are kettle-cooked in a USDA kitchen, following the same safety standards used to make human food. This ensures that the meals are highly digestible and packed with nutrients.
In addition, Pet Plate meals are low in fat and rich in antioxidants, making them perfect for dogs who are overweight or at risk for heart disease. And because the ingredients are all-natural, they are gentle on the stomach and easy to digest. Whether your dog has allergies or is simply in need of a nutritious meal, the limited ingredient diets made by Pet Plate may be just the ticket.
Best For Pet parents who want to home cook without the hassle!
- Formulated by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist so you know this diet is complete and balanced
- One protein source: Venison which is quite a novel protein for many pets. Novel means that the pet has not previously eaten the protein.
- Pet Plate has other protein sourced diets including turkey and pork
- Can be fed to dogs with pancreatitis or liver issues – consult your vet before feeding
- Key ingredients include meat, pasta, fruits and vegetables are the first EIGHT ingredients
- Highly palatable and variety
Get 50% off your first box of Pet Plate Meals!">Click Here to Get 50% off Your First Box!
8. Best Canned Food For Scottish Terrier: Weruva Baron’s Batch Variety Pack
Baron’s Batch is a variety pack of wet food that has been specifically formulated to meet the needs of Scottish Terriers. The pack includes four different flavors – three different chicken and one beef – each of which is packed with nutrients that are essential for a healthy coat and skin.
Baron’s Batch is also high in protein and low in carbohydrates, making it an excellent choice for those who are looking to maintain a healthy weight. In addition, the wet food is easy to digest and helps to keep your dog’s energy levels up. Whether you’re looking for a nutritious meal or a tasty treat, Baron’s Batch is the perfect choice for your Scottish Terrier.
Wet food is a great option for Scottish Terriers because it is packed with nutrients and moisture. Baron’s Grain-free wet food variety pack features real meat for animal-sourced protein to support lean muscles. It is also loaded with real shredded meats and veggies, so it is great for picky eaters.
The meal-portioned cans can be served on their own or as delicious kibble toppers or mix-ins. This wet food provides a 100% complete and balanced diet for dogs, enhanced with vitamins and minerals. Plus, it is packed with essential nutrients for overall health, like omegas for a shiny coat and antioxidants.
Serving size: 132 g can Weruva Baron’s Grain-free
- Weight: Comes in either 24×5.5oz or 24×14-oz case
- High in protein
- Shredded meat recipes that dogs love
- Four distinct flavors
- Exceptional palatability
- High moisture content
- Three chicken-based flavors and one beef which is limiting
Buying Guide for Scottish Terriers Food
When it comes to buying food for your Scottish Terrier, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Here are a few tips to help you make the best decision for your pet:
Scottish Terriers are prone to digestive issues, so it’s important to choose a food that is easy to digest. Look for foods that are made with easily-digestible ingredients and that don’t contain any fillers or artificial additives.
Since Scottish Terriers are small dogs, they are more susceptible to health problems. For this reason, it’s important to choose a food that is nutritionally balanced and that doesn’t contain any unsafe ingredients.
Ingredients are paramount to check because they determine what the dog will obtain from the food.
It would be better if it has the following ingredients:
- Meat as the first ingredient
- Natural ingredients
- No by-products
- limited ingredients
- A shortlist of easily digestible ingredients
- Omega fatty acids for a healthy coat
- Vitamins and minerals for overall health
It’s always a good idea to choose a food that has been veterinarian recommended. This way you can be sure that the food meets your dog’s specific nutritional needs.
Check the Label
When you’re looking at food labels, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, make sure that the food is appropriate for your dog’s life stage. Scottish terrier Puppies, for example, have different nutritional needs than adult dogs.
Second, check the guaranteed analysis to make sure that the food contains the right mix of nutrients. The guaranteed analysis includes the minimum percentage of crude protein and fat and the maximum percentage of crude fiber and moisture.
Choose a High-Quality Food
Finally, make sure you choose a food that is made by a reputable company. Look for foods that are made in the USA or Canada and that use high-quality ingredients.
Wet vs Dry Food for Scottish Terriers
The best food for a Scottish Terrier depends on his or her individual dietary needs and preferences. Some Scotties do well on wet food, while others prefer dry kibble. Ultimately, the best diet for your dog is the one with a great nutritional value and keeps them happy and healthy. Talk to your veterinarian about which type of food is right for your Scottish Terrier.
Wet food may be a good option for Scottish Terriers who are picky eaters or have trouble chewing dry kibble. Wet food is also more expensive than dry food, so it may not be the best choice for budget-conscious dog owners. If you choose to feed your Scottish Terrier wet food, be sure to choose a high-quality product that is specifically formulated for small breeds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What kind of food is most beneficial?
A: The most beneficial food is the best quality food you can afford for your dog. If you are unsure talk to your veterinarian.
Q: How much food should I feed my Scottish Terrier?
A: It’s difficult to tell the exact serving size that is ideal for your dog. You may want to serve your dog according to the feeding instructions written on the bag.
Q: What kind of food is most beneficial?
A: The most beneficial dog food has high meat content. Proteins derived from animals will provide more essential amino acids than plant-based proteins. The food must contain all the minerals and vitamins your dog needs. It should also have an AAFCO statement of complete and balanced for the life stage
Our Top Pick
For this roundup, our top pick is
Adult Food Mini. It is the most recommended dog food for Scottish Terriers since it’s made with high-quality ingredients. The first ingredient is chicken and it contains all the necessary nutrients for your dog.
What We Like:
-The first ingredient is chicken
-It is made with high-quality ingredients
-It is complete and balanced
-It doesn’t contain any artificial additives
The best food for Scottish Terriers is a high-quality food that contains meat as the first ingredient. The food should also be complete and balanced, and free of artificial additives. Choose food that meets your dog’s specific nutritional needs and preferences to keep them happy and healthy. If you are still unsure talk to your veterinarian about which type of food is right for your Scottish Terrier.